- Teachers are fascinated by language and share their interests with their students
- The classroom is alive with playful and thoughtful interactions with words.
- Language is a tool for thought as teachers and students refine their thinking about concepts across the curriculum.
- There are multiple opportunities to inquire, wonder, and delight in learning experiences.
- There are multiple opportunities to think about words while reading, writing, and learning content material.
- The classroom walls are draped with print that is meaningful to the learners and organized by the learners.
- The classroom is an experience-oriented one, where language and vocabulary develop as students build and refine their understanding of “big ideas” or concepts.
- Delight in poetry! Share them on a regular basis and read chorally, performed, illustrated, and discussed in a small or whole group. Poets are the masters of the English language, and because they are most often fairly short, they can be place into an already busy day.
Can you think of other ways to nurture your students' love of words? Tomorrow, return for a list of wonderful poetry books to inspire a delight in language.