· Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
· Share 11 random facts about yourself.
· Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
· List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
· Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer.
· Let all the bloggers know they have been nominated (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)
11 random facts about me:
1. I have a son and a daughter, both grown and living in other cities.
2. I’ve been married to my wonderful husband and best friend, Allan, for 36 years. We met in college but were just friends until several years after we graduated.
3. We have lived in the same house for 35 years.
4. When I was 6 I began playing the violin and continued to play into adulthood. I still play with the students in the holiday concert at my school.
5. I have a passion for bluebirds (My family calls me “Mother of Bluebirds”)
6. I love flowers, especially peonies and tulips.
7. The moon fascinates me. I look for it almost every night.
8. I love to burn scented candles, especially in the winter.
9. I’m known for my lasagna and chili (Clare, I’d love for you to teach me how to make soup).
10. I like to walk, play golf, and Zumba.
11. I’m a die-hard Phillies fan.
Here are my answers to Tammy’s questions:
1. What are you reading right now
The Circle by Dave Eggers. I just finished The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri and The Water Castle by Megan Blakemore.
2. What is one special tradition that you have with your family?
A few years ago we started taking family vacations at an away Phillies game. So far we’ve been to Chicago, Denver, Miami, and San Diego.
3. Why did you decide to settle in the town you’re living in now?
My first job was in Philadelphia, then I made my way to the suburbs. Allan grew up close by.
4. If you weren’t in education, what would you be doing?
Not sure, but I would not be a professional golfer!
5. What do you like to do in your free time?
Read, watch movies, hang out with friends.
6. What do you enjoy most about the winter?
The moon. It just seems so much bigger and brighter in the winter.
7. Why blogging?
Writing helps me to think and reflect. I have met and learned from so many teachers in the blogging community, so I just wanted to be a part of it. Everyone is always so encouraging.
8. How do you find time to write?
Now that I’m retired (or rather, work from home) I have a little more time, but I need to do a better job of scheduling it in. When Lynne and I were writing our books, we wrote together on the weekends – all day Sat. and Sun. and for week-long blocks in the summer.
9. How do you revise your writing?
I reread it as I go, but sometimes that slows me down. I’m trying to do a better job of putting down all my thoughts - just write – then go back and reread. I sometimes read out loud so I can hear how it sounds.
10. Where do you love to vacation?
When I was little we vacationed at my uncle’s house at the Jersey shore. I still love the beach.
11. What should I have asked you?
Hey- is this a trick question?
Now to the 11 bloggers that I am nominating. Some of you that I would have nominated, like Stacey Shubitz, Katherine Sokolowski, Ruth Ayres, and Pat Johnson, I know have already been nominated, so I won’t nominate you again, but thank you for all you have shared with me. For those of you who I am nominating, please forgive me if you have already received the Sunshine Award, and please don’t feel obliged to participate. Just think of this nomination as a thank you from me for encouraging, supporting, pushing my thinking, or sharing a book idea.
Mary Lee Hahn
(Franki’s and Mary Lee’s blog, A Year of Reading, was the first blog I read with any regularity)
And here are my 11 questions for you:
1. Who are your favorite authors?
2. What professional books have influenced you the most?
3. What do you consider your greatest accomplishment?
4. What is something you wish you could do better?
5. What famous person (past or present) would you like to have dinner with?
6. Do you have a secret passion?
7. What is one word your friends might use to describe you?
8. How do you stay energized as a teacher or a writer?
9. What is one professional goal you have?
10. What is your favorite way to relax?
11. Who is someone who is, or was, a mentor to you?
Thank you all for inspiring me!